BA (Hons) Acting
If you have the appropriate qualifications and your application is successful, we will invite you to attend an audition to assess your suitability for the programme.
The aim of the audition process is to offer you the opportunity to showcase your creative and intellectual potential, and to explore whether or not you have the ability to succeed on the programme and meet the demands of a highly challenging profession.
What happens at an audition?
The audition will last about two and a half hours, and it will consist of two parts.
Before your audition, you should rehearse and memorise three speeches, each no longer than two minutes in duration:
- One by Shakespeare which should be in Blank Verse*
- One from a play written after 1970
- One speech of your own choice from any published play
Initially, we will ask you to present two of your prepared pieces, but in some cases, we may ask to see your third. A song is not required for the audition.
*Blank Verse — A type of poetry that has a regular meter, but no rhyme. The most commonly used form in English is iambic pentameter, which can be found in all of Shakespeare’s plays.
You will also be asked to take part in a practical workshop.
Please bring along loose, comfortable clothing that you can easily change into.
What are we looking for at an audition?
You will be assessed on your ability to—
- Own and personalise dramatic language
- Present a credible and appropriate investigation of character and situation
- Show a clear contrast between the chosen speeches
- Show effective and sensitive use of voice and physicality in the chosen speeches and the practical workshop
- Demonstrate spatial awareness and sensitivity to your environment
- Work sensitively and co-operatively with others
- Work with energy and confidence
- Sustain concentration and focus throughout all stages of the audition process
- Rehearse your three speeches before your audition so that you feel comfortable presenting them.
- Plan your journey, so that you arrive at the School of Theatre in plenty of time for your audition.
- Arrive a few minutes early, so you can settle and feel ready for the work.
- Staff at the School want you to do well in your audition, so try to relax and enjoy the day.
- Listen carefully to feedback and if in doubt ask the tutor to repeat an instruction or clarify feedback so that you understand it.
- Resist the tendency to rush, take as much time as you need.
- Remember to engage your body in the work – acting is always physical!
- Remember to listen and respond to those you’re working with when taking part in group work.
If you are an international applicant and are unable to attend your audition in the UK, you may send your audition pieces as videos. Please contact the Admissions Team if you would like to send in a video.
Students with disabilities
Manchester Metropolitan University is committed to the promotion of equal opportunities in all aspects of employment and training. Manchester School of Theatre welcomes applications from candidates with disabilities irrespective of their physical needs.
Should you require adjustments for a Disability or Specific Learning Difficulty, please follow the guidelines on audition.mmu.ac.uk/disability.
A non-refundable fee of £45 is charged to all applicants. You can pay the audition fee with a credit or debit card, using the link below. There is no fee for recall auditions.
Getting your results and recall auditions
You will be notified of the outcome of your audition through UCAS Track.
Following your first audition, if you are successful, you will be invited to a recall audition. You may even be asked to attend a third audition and interview, if staff feel they would like to see more from you before making a decision.
At the recall audition you will normally be required to work with the same three pieces that were used at the first round audition. We will contact you if additional pieces are required.
The recall auditions start at 9am and you should be prepared to stay until 3.30pm.
Please contact the School of Theatre Admissions Team if you require further information.
- 0161 247 5922 / email@example.com